Are Your Houseplants Toxic for Your Pet?

My cat Penelope loves to eat my houseplants, this means I must be very careful about what plants I have in my house. There are a lot of dangerous and toxic plants for animals that a lot of people don’t realize are harmful to their pet or pets.

Common plants:

  • Aloe Vera
  • Chives
  • Catnip
  • Lilies
  • Dracaena’s
  • Daffodil

Aloe Vera is a great plant to have around, and its health benefits are great for us, but it can be quite irritating to our pets (cats and dogs). If they bite or ingest parts of the plant, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. The gel itself can be edible.

Chives are a common household ingredient for cooking, but it can be dangerous for our pets (cats and dogs). If chives are ingested and left without veterinary care it can lead to vomiting, Hemolytic anemia (Breakdown of red blood cells), blood in urine, weakness, high heart rate and panting.

Catnip can be a fun past time for cats when used in moderation and when dried. If the plant itself is ingested and in a large amount, it can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. It can also make some cats mildly sedated.

Lilies are such a beautiful plant and can be nice in bouquets, but you should be very careful with having them in your home. There are a variety of lilies that you should be aware of: Asian Lily, Calla Lily, Pig Lily, White Arum, Trumpet Lily, Florist’s Calla, Garden Calla.

Asian Lily’s affect cats primarily. If they ingest this flower, it can cause vomiting and lethargy. If left without any veterinary care then the animal can go into kidney failure and can eventually lead to a painful death.

The other types of lilies can affect both dogs and cats. If ingested, they can cause oral irritation; pain and swelling of the mouth, tongue and lips; excessive drooling and vomiting; as well as difficulty swallowing.

Azalea’s or also know as rosebay or rhododendrons can affect both dogs and cats. If ingested, this beautiful plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and if left without veterinary care can lead to heart failure.

Poinsettias are a lovely plant to have especially around Christmas time but can be toxic to your furry friends. If ingested, can irritate the mouth and stomach, and can cause vomiting

There are a few ways to keep your animals away from plants in your home:

  1. Hang your plants or place them somewhere high up where your pet can’t reach them.
  2. Try and avoid having dangerous plants in your home. Try and keep other plants in your home that aren’t toxic to your animal/animals.
  3. You can place orange peels around the bottom of the plants to keep cats away from them, as they don’t like citrus scents.
  4. You could make a loud noise if they were to approach the plant. This is one method to make them think the plant is a scary thing, therefore will deter them from going near it.
  5. My favourite thing to use to distract my cat from eating my plants would be cat grass. When she has cat grass, she doesn’t even notice my plants. You can buy already grown cat grass from most pet stores and some grocery stores.

If your animal ingests a toxic plant:

  • Call your veterinary clinic immediately
  • If after-hours go to the closest emergency hospital

References: |

Written By: Sarah Rogers, VT



dog dental

What Is a Dental Nerve Block?

Have you been to the dentist and received local freezing? If so, then you have had a dental nerve block. Most dental procedures produce strong sensory stimuli to the point that it affects the amount of general anesthetic required and a painful recovery.

Read More
See All Articles